Western North Carolina Trailheads
Find a place to hike!
What's a Trailhead?
HikeWNC's Trailheads are hubs, or areas, where several trails are clustered together or joined in a network. The US Forest Service has been referring to these as Trail Complexes in its recent Trail Strategy process.
More than Wikipedia's definition of a Trailhead as "the point at which a trail starts", a Trailhead here could be a campground, a trailhead parking area where several trails start, an entire stream basin, an isolated park, a town, or simply an area with a group of trails convenient to one another. Historically, cities located near the starting point for major paths were also called Trailheads.
For this site, a Trailhead can be any of these, but represents a way for us to group information about a place where you can spend a day or more exploring hiking trails without having to drive too far - or at all!
Choose a Trailhead from the list or map below to see all the details that we have on each one.
Each Trailhead Has The Following Information (Where Available)
- General information (geography, area scenery, and what makes the trail network in that area unique).
- The best hikes in that Trailhead area
- Raw trail information for each individual trail in the network.
- Camping and lodging in and around each Trailhead.
- Driving directions to each Trailhead and parking areas within the trailhead.
- Pictures taken from the trails.
- Videos of the hikes and trails
List of Trailheads
- Pisgah National Forest
- Catawba Falls
- Curtis Creek
- Linville Gorge
- Wilson Creek
- Chimney Rock State Park
- Elk Knob State Park
- Lake James State Park
- Crowders Mountain State Park
- Dupont State Forest
- Gorges State Park
- Grandfather Mountain State Park
- Hanging Rock State Park
- Mount Jefferson State Natural Area
- Mount Mitchell State Park
- New River State Park
- Pilot Mountain State Park
- Stone Mountain State Park
- South Mountains State Park
- Mountains to Sea Trail
- Buncombe County
- County Parks
- City of Asheville
- Asheville Urban Trail
- Richmond Hill Park
- Western North Carolina Nature Center
- Blowing Rock
- Rough Creek Watershed (External Site)
- Town of Lake Lure
- Town of Sylva
Map of Trailheads
Roll over a "TH" symbol to see the name, and click for more information about that trailhead area.
Download GPS Data
Click routes, trails, or points on the map to download them individually (on the GPS Data tab).