Western North Carolina Trailheads
Looking for a place to start exploring the outdoors in WNC? Look no further than our Trailheads.
What's a Trailhead?
HikeWNC's Trailheads are hubs, or areas, where several trails are convenient to one another or joined in a network.
More than Wikipedia's definition of a Trailhead as "the point at which a trail starts", a Trailhead here could be a campground, a parking area where several trails start, a stream basin, an isolated park, a town, or simply an area with a group of trails convenient to one another. Historically, cities located near the starting point for major paths were also called Trailheads.
The US Forest Service has been referring to these as Trail Complexes in its recent Trail Strategy process.
For this site, a Trailhead can be any of these, but represents a way for us to group information about a place where you can spend a day or more exploring hiking trails without having to drive too far - or at all!
Choose a Trailhead from the list or map below to see all the details that we have on each one.
List of Trailheads
- Pisgah National Forest
- Appalachian Ranger District
- Grandfather Ranger District
- Pisgah Ranger District
- Nantahala National Forest
- Cheoah Ranger District
- Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest & Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness
- Snowbird Backcountry Area
- Nantahala Ranger District
- Tusquitee Ranger District
- Jackrabbit Mountain
- Fires Creek Recreation Area
- Hanging Dog Recreation Area
- Cheoah Ranger District
- Blue Ridge Parkway
- Carl Sandburg Home National Historic Site
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- Chimney Rock State Park
- Elk Knob State Park
- Lake James State Park<
- Crowders Mountain State Park
- Dupont State Forest
- Gorges State Park
- Grandfather Mountain State Park
- Hanging Rock State Park
- Mount Jefferson State Natural Area
- Mount Mitchell State Park
- New River State Park
- Pilot Mountain State Park
- Stone Mountain State Park
- South Mountains State Park
- Mountains to Sea Trail
- Buncombe County
- County Parks
- Collier Cove Nature Preserve
- City of Asheville
- Asheville Urban Trail
- Richmond Hill Park
- Western North Carolina Nature Center
- Town of Blowing Rock
- Town of Canton
- Town of Lake Lure
- Town of Sylva
- Beech Mountain
- Hickory Nut Gorge
- Linville Caverns
- Sugar Mountain
Map of Trailheads
Roll over a "TH" symbol to see the name, and click for more information about that trailhead area.
Each Trailhead Has The Following Information (Where Available)
- General information (geography, area scenery, and what makes the trail network in that area unique).
- The best hikes in that Trailhead area
- Raw trail information for each individual trail in the network.
- Camping and lodging in and around each Trailhead.
- Driving directions to each Trailhead and parking areas within the trailhead.
- Pictures taken from the trails.
- Videos of the hikes and trails